Saturday, May 25, 2013

Teaching and the Test

This is (hopefully) the last summer before I start my student teaching in the spring of 2014. A couple of years ago I successfully passed the first of two tests I need to take before I start my student teaching, called the Praxis 1 or the PPST. This test is kind of like a glorified SAT. In other words, it's more of a general knowledge test. This summer I will be taking the second of these two tests, the Praxis II. This is a content knowledge test. as I will be teaching high school English, I will be taking the test dealing with literature, grammar, and composition. I could be like other teaching students and just take the test and hope for the best. This is too important for that. Not to mention too expensive. The test is a couple hundred dollars, so if I were to not pass it, that amount would grow exponentially. It's more than just that, though. I passed the first test the first time, and I plan to pass this test the time. That means lots of studying, which means getting the necessary books.

There's just one problem I am facing. While the first book I am studying appears to be helpful, it has one major flaw. The book I have is supposed to help me with grammar content knowledge, yet it is riddled with errors. There are typos and bits of misinformation that make me uneasy about studying from it. I went to my local library and found only one other book dealing with my content area. My fear is that this second book will have other problems with it as well. Should I trust these books and study them before I take this test or just use my own instincts and wing it? My practical side is telling me to study, but what if these books lead me astray? I don't want to hit more objectives than I already have. So much has gotten in my way already, I am just ready to graduate and start teaching. Anybody have any suggestions for books I can use to study? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Class dismissed.

Mr. H.

No comments:

Post a Comment